We are currently looking for two types of stories—inspiring essays from real moms like you, and expert columns.
MotherlyStories are first person, 700-900 word stories, reflecting on the insights and issues you’ve experienced in motherhood—and the wisdom you’ve gained along the way. They address a specific pain point of mom life that you have been through or are going through right now, like why co-sleeping works for your family or how you survived life in the NICU or words of encouragement to other mamas on their most frazzled days. They help women realize they’re not alone, and they never judge. (They’re cool like that.) Instead, they inspire other mamas with stories of meaning, hope and a realization that, “you’ve got this.”
MotherlyStories appear on our site, our social media channels, or could even be turned into a video.
Expert columns share tips from (you guessed it!) credentialed experts on a topic. You draw from your experience as well as evidenced-backed research to give new mamas actionable tips and encouragement.
We can't wait to hear from you!
Over the past couple of months, we've received a larger number of submissions than normal so we're working our way through them to ensure we have time to review each piece. You'll be notified either way once an editor gets to your submission. Please allow four to six weeks to hear back on a submission.
Motherly will compensate the contributor after two pieces have been published on Motherly from the contributor in order to make sure their voice and style aligns with Motherly’s voice and style. Motherly will pay the contributor a contribution fee of fifty dollars per work accepted by and published by Motherly, payable upon invoice after publication. Such payment is due only with respect to the initial publication of a work and not for any subsequent publications of any kind.
Motherly has created a community around credible, expert-driven, non-judgmental content—creating a much-needed space for moms to feel seen, heard, and supported.
Now, that space will include birth stories—and we want to hear yours!
We will be featuring a curated collection of birth stories to share across all of our platforms.
If you are interested in sharing your birth story with the Motherly community, please check-out the following guidelines:
- In sending us your story, you acknowledge that if selected for publication, the story may be edited (though never to change the meaning of it) and might be shared across our many platforms. You also agree that the story may not be published elsewhere.
- If you prefer not to have your name used with your story, please let us know when you send it in.
- The story should be 700-1000 words.
- The story should have a clear take away (something you learned, or changed, or discovered about yourself)
- Consider what a shareable headline for your story might be. Some ideas to get you started:
- “I was scared of XYX, but it turns out…”
- “This is the experience I wanted and here’s how I got it,”
- “Here is what really surprised me about XYZ,”
- “Here’s why XYZ type of birth (home, epidural, planned C. section, etc.) was right for me.”
Details to include in your story:
- What number baby this is for you
- (optional) Brief info about your journey to getting pregnant (fertility treatments, previous losses, unplanned pregnancy, etc.) AGAIN, THIS IS OPTIONAL
- How you felt when you learned you were pregnant
- What was the most important thing for you as you thought about your birth (i.e., “it was most important to me that I felt listened to during my birth.”)
- Concerns/fears you had as you thought about your upcoming birth (i.e., “I think I was the most scared about the potential pain.”)
- Where and with whom you decided to receive prenatal care, and why (include if you decided to change course during your pregnancy and why)
- If having a vaginal birth, did you consider pain medication? Why or why not?
- Who was with you during your birth?
- Timestamps from your birth, if you remember. Can be given in list form. I.e.,:
- Contractions started at 1:00 a.m.
- Water broke at 2:45 a.m.
- Arrived at the birth center at 10:00 a.m. and was already 6 centimeters!
- Started pushing at 1:00 p.m.
- Baby was born at 2:25 p.m.
- Any details about your sweet baby you’d like to share:
- Anything else!
- What surprised you most about your birth?
- When you look back at your birth, what questions do you still have?
- Was there anything you wish you could change about your birth?
- When you look back at your birth, what makes you feel most powerful?
- What did you learn (about yourself, your partner, your baby, birth in general?)
- What were the first 24 hours after birth like for you?
- If you could give an expectant mama one piece of advice, what would it be?
We also encourage you to send any visuals you have to help tell your story—if you have photos or videos of your pregnancy, labor, birth, postpartum and newborn moments that you’d be willing to share across our platforms, please send those along as well! Personal and professional photos accepted!
Thank you so much for continuing to be our inspiration. You’ve got this!
Motherly is looking for best-in-class experts to join our growing Expert Panel!
If selected as a panel expert, the opportunities to represent Motherly are plentiful: from writing and speaking opportunities, to brand partner collaborations and class hosting. We’re looking for credentialed experts who support our mission to provide women with more support and less judgment during the incredible journey of motherhood.
Motherly—a lifestyle parenting brand redefining motherhood on behalf of a new generation of mothers—is expanding!
The only positive, encouraging parenting site reaching and influencing Millennial moms at scale, Motherly connects with her when she is looking for and absorbing more information, products and services than during any other life transition. With 30M+ multi-platform unique audience viewers each month, the brand supports mamas through their entire parenthood journey, delivering women-centric content that addresses her whole lifestyle through thousands of articles, images, videos, and classes.
Our primary needs are within the following areas of expertise:
- Nutrition (pre-pregnancy through postpartum, and baby)
- Yoga/fitness (pre-pregnancy through postpartum)
- Parenting/Positive parenting
- Mental health and wellness
- Decluttering/ minimalism
Members of our Expert Panel will work closely with our Digital Education Editor regarding content development within your area of expertise. This may include:
- Weekly article content contributions
- Online class curriculum development and instruction (including digital interactions with people taking the classes)
- Social Media live events (Q+A’s, etc.)
- Possible participation in IRL Motherly events
- Possible participation in branded campaigns as they pertain to your expertise
Our ideal expert panel members will have:
- Experience and appropriate credentials within their area of expertise
- Excellent writing and speaking skills, both online and in person
- Hustle and ability to hang in our fast-paced #startup biz
- Motherly’s core value of supporting women in a non-judgmental, friendly, uplifting way
The Motherly Expert Panel members are contractors who will be compensated for the content provided.
Items needed to apply:
- Cover letter explaining why YOU are the perfect expert for us!
- Links to website and social media platforms
- 2-3 writing samples
Motherly Stories are first person, 500-1000 word stories, reflecting on the insights and issues you’ve experienced in motherhood—and the wisdom you’ve gained along the way. They also help other women realize they’re not alone. Motherly Stories don’t judge. (They’re cool like that.) Instead, they inspire other mamas with stories of meaning, hope and a realization that, “you’ve got this.”
Some example of great Motherly Stories—
Are you an expert?
We collaborate with pediatricians, stylists, teachers, child development experts, nutritionists, career coaches, family therapists, interior designers (and more!) to bring research-backed, evidence-based ideas + inspiration to our audience. If you're an expert with a full stack of credentials and great ideas, our mamas are looking for you! Write for Motherly + reach our amazing community of mothers.
Examples of expert columns—
Share your Motherly moments with us! Submit your videos of the sweet, heartwarming, hilarious and unglamorous parts of motherhood. We love placing our community's authentic clips in our content.