We are currently looking for one type of story: inspiring essays from real moms like you.
MotherlyStories are first person essays: 700-900 word stories, reflecting on the insights and issues you’ve experienced in motherhood—and the wisdom you’ve gained along the way. They address a specific pain point of mom life that you have been through or are going through right now, like why co-sleeping works for your family or how you survived life in the NICU or words of encouragement to other mamas on their most frazzled days. They help women realize they’re not alone, and they never judge. They inspire other mamas with stories of meaning, hope and a realization that, “you’ve got this.”
MotherlyStories appear on our site, our social media channels, or could even be turned into a video.
We can't wait to hear from you!
Over the past couple of months, we've received a larger number of submissions than normal so we're working our way through them to ensure we have time to review each piece. You'll be notified either way once an editor gets to your submission. Please allow four to six weeks to hear back on a submission.
By submitting your article, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to these terms and conditions.
What is The Motherly Collective? The recently-debuted Motherly Collective showcases the stories, experiences and advice from brands, writers and experts who want to share their story with our community.
We believe that there is no single story of motherhood, and that every mother’s journey is unique. By amplifying each mother’s experience and offering expert-driven content, we can support, inform and inspire each other on this incredible journey. Motherly currently engages 30M+ mothers monthly across our website, social, email, and podcast audiences.
What you can expect as a Collective contributor:
- Story with your byline published on Motherly
- An author page, which will include a photo of you or your brand logo and a 2-3 sentence bio with social handles and links to your website (see an example here).
- Up to 3 inbound links to your website and the ability to mention your brand or business in the body copy of your story
Interested? Here's what to expect: Before accepting a story, we’ll work with you on your story headline and angle (typical word count is 600-900 words). Our editors will expertly edit your content and provide feedback (if required), and send you the published URL with a tracking link when the story is published for you to share with your networks. Once filed and provided there are no significant edits, it typically takes us 7-10 business days to get your story published.
Examples of Motherly Collective posts:
- First day of school drop off: 6 things you can do to ease their jitters￼
- Your parenting style can reduce your child’s risk of substance abuse
- Why saying 'Just breastfeed' is harmful to mothers
- I did IVF and launched a business at the same time. Here’s what I learned about being a working mom
- Here's what many people don't know about being a boy mom
- How to perform a self breast exam and what to look out for
Motherly Stories are first person, 500-1000 word stories, reflecting on the insights and issues you’ve experienced in motherhood—and the wisdom you’ve gained along the way. They also help other women realize they’re not alone. Motherly Stories don’t judge. Instead, they inspire other mamas with stories of meaning, hope and a realization that, “you’ve got this.”
Some example of great Motherly Stories—
Share your Motherly moments with us! Submit your videos of the sweet, heartwarming, hilarious and unglamorous parts of motherhood. We love placing our community's authentic clips in our content.